Friday, November 17, 2006

school projects

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1117/p09s03-coop.html

found this off a link from a commentary on Bush in Hanoi, that was in
my gmail web links.

anyway, can totally understand the frustration (and admittedly those
projects are a little to in depth considering most parents probably
don't sew, let alone expecting their kids to)

My daughter is in Montessori (which I've repeatedly raved about to
anyone who will listen - it's great for her - and challenges her - and
teaches her to focus herself) which definitely leans towards hands on
over just writing.

of course they also lean away from over loading kids with homework.
She has spelling words to study (creative ones, as I've mentioned
before), a half hour of reading per day (anything she wants to read)
and the occasional project or item she didn't finish in class.

but, as stressful as it is, I have a much easier time getting my
daughter to do a creative project and accompany it with the written
word, than to just write something. Even if I have to pull my hair out
coming up with items that we don't just have laying around the house.
(luckily her Nanna is a craft queen so if she has some time to work on
the project, we stop by and visit for use of craft supplies)

of course, I'm lucky, too. My daughter is naturally creative (much
more so than I ever was or am). She wanted to color a picture she was
drawing and couldn't find crayons/color pencils - and I didn't have
the time to buy them - she used her make up kit.

I have to agree on the group project. We participated in one, that
parents were encouraged to help the kids with, and the few super
parents in the group (the parents at my daughter's school amaze me as
much as the kids and the teachers do) did the bulk of the leading the
kids through the work. I felt like I did nothing (though it was a
cultural project and the Asian dolls I brought that I had Lola
describe on paper were a hit)

No comments: